During the summer months, the Alpha Academy mentoring program helps coordinate The Leadership Development Institute (LDI). LDI is a special initiative of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. which aims to develop a 21st century generation of leaders.
The mission starts with young people, particularly those who demonstrate the potential to comprehend and apply the fundamental principles needed by leaders, as well as whom, by virtue of their age and education, are often looked upon as role models. Thus, the Institute seeks to equip high school students, primarily sophomores to seniors, with vital leadership skills.
The Foundation’s LDI even is a 3-day event help on the campus of a local college/university. The aims are to develop individuals into dynamic leaders of tomorrow, and LDI seeks to equip LDI participants with vital leadership and life skills which enhance their post-scholastic employment opportunities.
To this end, we instruct the participants in
- Parliamentary procedures,
- Conflict resolution,
- Models of leadership,
- Public speaking,
- Community and civic engagement,
- Cultural awareness, and
- Educational enhancement skills.
The primary objectives of LDI are:
- To develop a cadre of positive youth leadership throughout the nation,
- To stimulate an appreciation for African American leadership in the United States and the world,
- To expose students to various leadership skills, opportunities, and challenges,
- To inform students of the current and emerging economic, social, political, communal, and cultural issues affecting African Americans and people of color in America and the world,
- To nurture a network of positive youth by providing fertile opportunities for them to interact on various social and cultural settings,
- To promote and stimulate an appreciation for Historically Black Colleges and Universities,
- To encourage civic involvement, such as voting, and
- To link the LDI with the fraternity’s programs and special projects, such as Project Alpha, Voteless People is a Hopeless People, and Go-to-High-School, Go-to-College.
Click For More About Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.’s Leadership Development Institute (LDI) Program
College Fair Committee: Leadership Development Institute Committee